“With Taranaki’s epic surf, spectacular gardens, great events, legendary mountain and countless outdoor and cultural adventures it’s easy to see why the region prides itself on being a destination ‘like no other’.”
There are many reasons why you should make Taranaki the place you stay while in New Zealand. Here are a few:
- Nature! Taranaki is New Zealand’s best kept secret. Situated between the majestic Mount Taranaki and the booming surf of the Tasman sea, Taranaki has been the star of two well known movies: the Last Samurai and Last Paradise. The area is well known for bush walks, empty beaches, beautiful gardens and vivid sunsets over the sea.
- Adventure! People move to Taranaki to live an active lifestyle. There is world class surfing and windsurfing, kite boarding, skiing, climbing, hiking, kayaking, fishing, golf…you name it! This is the New Zealand that you always imagined.
- The Town: New Plymouth has won several awards including Best City in the World to Live, Top Town in New Zealand and Best and Most Sustainable Community Award. It is not too big or small – you will find interesting bars and restaurants, the coastal walkway, beautiful Pukekura park…and no traffic jams or pollution!
- Events! There are several interesting events including WOMAD, the Festival of Lights, the ASP Womens World Surfing Competition, Round the Mountain Cycle Challenge, Taranaki Wine and Food Festival, Taranaki Rhododendron and Garden Festival, Taranaki Festival of the Arts and the Taranaki Wave Classic windsurfing competition.
- The People! Taranaki people are famous for their friendliness and hospitality. This is not Auckland where many residents speak English as a second language. You will get the chance to practise your English wherever you go.